A Way to A Woman's....Period?

Be warned, this post is specifically for the ladies.  Period Days. Not fun. Whether you suffer from horrible cramps where it feels like all the force of the world is pressing on your uterine wall, a heavy flow, back pain, headaches, throwing up; or maybe you are one who is not affected in any of the aforementioned ways, those period days are still not fun. Yes, we can be thankful our bodies are healthy and functioning the way they should be but we still have to deal with actual flow issue.

Fortunately, we live in a time where period awareness is heightened. Now you can find organic cotton tampons, silicon cups, and period panties. "Wait," you ask,  "did you say, period panties?" Yes, yes I did. And no, I don't mean those five year old pairs you save for your period days. I mean actual underwear where you don't need to wear a pad or pantyliner. On heavier days, you can wear a tampon or period cup (DIVA Cup, Dutchess [yes, that is the correct spelling] Cup, and Pixie Cup to name a few) and the underwear acts as backup. On your lighter days, you can be secure with only the underwear and it absorbs everything with zero leakage.  Some may be thinking "gross" but really, who wants to wear a heavy pad or pantyliner, especially during those peak summer months or through a workout? You can feel safe and secure (from a period standpoint) in your underwear. I first saw this underwear advertised on Facebook over three years ago by the company THINX, the originators of this ingenious underwear.  Skeptical, I read about the company, products, and mission (educating girls about their reproductive system, offering period products to those in need) and decided to purchase a pair. They were/are so worth it. I wear that pair on a heavy day as backup and let me tell you, it is a great feeling not having to worry about changing a pad or worrying about something leaking through. After wearing a pair, one just needs to rinse them out before throwing in the wash. Launder as usual and hang dry. The original pair I purchased is still going strong and with that said I recently added more THINX to my undergarment collection.  While they do have a high price point, think of how much money you spend on pads/tampons in a year. It is no small dollar amount. I am not saying that I don't purchase throw-away products ever but this underwear definitely helps in cutting down on personal cost and of course, waste.  With the great selection of styles and sizes they now offer, I encourage you to check them out (select picture for link)!



I know, there are so many new feminine products out there (which is great!).  Period cups (mentioned previously which can be found on Amazon or even places like Target) are great alternatives to tampons. The name brand name tampon companies who marketed products with unknown components for decades are now being forced to be transparent with their products and to compete with the organic tampon brands. A few weeks ago, I learned of the reusable applicator. With so many new options you still obviously need to use what is best for you and your lifestyle.

As always, thanks for reading. I appreciate any comments or feedback. Feel free to DM me @jessitupordown or @jessicap2011 😊

❤ Jess




Comments

Popular Posts